I think this is a more likely scenario.  We've been receiving bounced
messages from AOL subscribers through our problem-tracking software
mailer as well, which would have been impossible to ban (it's not an
address they would receive mail from unless they had solicited the mail in
the first place).  My opinion of AOL (and their customer base) degrades
daily...

Court

On Mon, 31 Mar 2003, Kevin Parris wrote:

> There is the possibility you may have encountered some who use the AOL mail controls feature with an "allow only" list rather than a "block list" and may not understand your request.  It may be that what they must do is ADD your list subscribers to their list of ALLOWED mail sources.  The mail controls feature is setup individually by each user, separate from some other spam control attempts that AOL uses at the system level,  It's not new, but lately AOL has been advertising it more actively so more users are becoming aware, and it is designed for non-technical folks, not email system administrators.  I don't work for AOL or any affiliated entity, but am familiar with the service.
>
> Philosophically, I would say if you set the offenders to NOMAIL and they never complain about not seeing any more traffic, then you have solved your problem.  If they do complain, then you point out that list membership is a privilege, and enjoyment of the privilege carries responsibility not to interfere with others also enjoying it - so if they will demonstrate responsibility then you will allow them to resume enjoying the privilege (since causing error notices is impairing YOUR enjoyment of the list).
>
> You may also consider setting the offenders to DIGEST mode, since in that case the "from" field of the mail is "automatic digest processor" rather than any particular contributing subscriber.
>
> >>> [log in to unmask] 03/31/03 10:50AM >>>
> Listserv 1.8d is the version under which I operate my list.
>
> I have been having problems with AOL people banning other listmembers which they can now do.  When Listserv sends a message to a subscriber from a person they have banned, it is returned to me as an error message with the explanation that the AOL subscriber has refused to accept mail from the sender.
>
> I have written those who have done it and have asked them not to ban other listmembers and have explained why, but they still fail to change their blocked list.    I don't want to post to the list about it since AOL serves
> about one-fourth of my total list of 725, and others who don't know about it may get the idea to do it, also.
>
> Is there any action I can take if they refuse to eliminate their bans short of deleting them from the list?  I have tried setting them "nomail" but of course they can change that back again.  "Nopost" and "review" do not work in this instance.
>
> Apparently, AOL does not use a filter system which most of us have access to.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Barbara Passmore
>

ATOM RSS1 RSS2