Maureen Leblanc <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 29 Jun 1995 19:01:41 EST
Nathan and Mario: Thank You!

The SizeLim idea is excellent Nathan.

I think I need to clarify that uuencoded binary files have only been a
problem once on my list.

When I mailed the poster, who was not aware that there was an attatched
mailing list he felt terrible and immediately issued a *public* apology.

Mr. BigTimeNetBoy saw fit to interrupt and post a message about how he'd
like to see *more* binaries posted since *this is a newsgroup after all,
not a mailing list - the mailing list is just along for the ride*.

Binaries have never been a problem on rec.music.dylan til then and
haven't been since.

My problem with this person is that he encouraged, urged really, the
posting of more binaries. He is a long time contributor to r.m.d. and
people listen to him. When I told him it was inconsiderate he made a
big todo with a ritual public killfiling.

People listen to this guy and I was concerned that because of his status
on the group, he would be listened to. So I filtered him. (Can I explain
that I was up from 1:00 am to 5:00 am one morning, dealing with the
bounces from the 6 digests churned out in as many minutes?)

I immediately notified him of the filter. He refused to talk. I typed
to mutual friends explaining that he had to contact me to get the
filter lifted. He refused.

I am now in the position I've described to you - Receiving nasty mail from
nasty little people, telling me what a big MEANIE I am. Actually they
call me a CENSOR - (all caps all the time.)

I've started a folder to document things. They're telling me in email
that a *competitor* will start a new list.

I still don't understand that - I honestly thought there could only be
one gateway from a newsgroup at a time. Do I have that wrong?

I will make up a statement to post, but my experience has been that if
I say "here's my first rule - once I filter you, you have to talk to
me about it, before I lift it" they will scream bloody murder. But,
I should do it and post it publicly. They certainly can't say anything
more lousy than I've already heard. That's for sure.

Still fightin'

Maureen LeBlanc (HWY61-L)