Rich Greenberg <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 29 Oct 2002 08:51:37 -0500
On: Mon, Oct 28, 2002 at 06:10:39PM -0800,rex Wrote:

} You have a monitor that will display 1023+ readable characters on the screen
} in a single line? Does anyone?

Actually the RFC permits 1024 characters between lineends.

} Some M$ products format paragraphs as a single line without following the
} RFC (who would have guessed?) for "format-flowed." I don't know of any
} practical solution short of booting people off the list who refuse to use a
} RFC compliant mail program.

Many mailers will automagically wrap lines for you.  Some are even nice
enough to wrap at word boundrys.  The one I use (Mutt under unix) does
that for displaying, but not for printing.  I added some to Mutt's print
function to call a unix utility that will break at word boundrys for
printing.  For those mutt users, I have this in my .muttrc:

     set print_command="fold -s -w 79 | $HOME/bin/ansilpr -f"

Where ansilpr is a shell script that inserts the VT100 print escape
sequences ahead of the data and the off sequence after.

--
Rich Greenberg   Work:  Rich.Greenberg atsign worldspan.com   +1 770-563-6656
N6LRT   Marietta, GA, USA   Play: richgr atsign panix.com     +1 770-321-6507