"Michael S. Johnson" <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 21 Nov 1999 16:15:47 -0800
On Sun, 21 Nov 1999, Roger Fajman wrote:

> > Microsoft Hatemail also does the reply-to-everything by default.
>
> I use Outlook 98 frequently and it does not default to reply-to-all.

I think the person you're replying to meant that it defaults to quoting
everything in the reply, not that it defaults to Reply All.

Not to waste this post with a short answer, I looked up on Microsoft's web
site an e-mail address that you can use to give your valuable feedback
about their products.

Q. What's the address?
A. [log in to unmask]

Drop them a line.  Give them a piece of your mind.  Be polite: the person
reading your mail probably isn't in any way responsible for causing or
fixing the problem you're reporting.  Now you don't have to fume in
silence (or rant futilely at other list owners who probably already share
your displeasure with Microsoft products).

Linkname: Who's Who at Microsoft? Reporting Bugs and Problems

---begin quote---

Dr. GUI replies:

[...]

   For product bugs, call Microsoft Product Support at the number shown in
your product's documentation. Naturally, we don't charge for bug reports.
If you like, you can also post in one of the Microsoft newsgroups. We
don't have an e-mail address for bug reports, but we do have a wish-list
mailing address: [log in to unmask]

---end quote---

Complaining bitterly about someone's products behind their back isn't
going to be as effective as complaining about it to their face.  How will
Microsoft learn that its e-mail software doesn't meet your needs if you
don't express your needs to them?

Would you sue a doctor for malpractice if s/he didn't treat you for an
ailment you were able to describe in great detail to hir, but didn't
bother to?  Can doctors read minds?  Would you want them to?  You'd
probably be laughed out of court.

Don't pretend to be a hero and spokesperson for the unjustly wronged when
the cause of your misery hasn't heard your complaints and therefore hasn't
addressed to them.

Back in 1995 when LISTSERV didn't have any documentation more readable to
non-technical people than INFO REFCARD, I didn't complain bitterly about
it.  I just made it my final project in a Technical Communications course
at university to write list owner documentation myself.  I recall
announcing it on this list for others to benefit from, and I still have it
online somewhere if you're interested, although the L-Soft documentation
has improved since then.  :)

--
Michael