Ben Parker <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 18 Aug 1997 22:36:58 GMT
On Mon, 18 Aug 1997 12:04:07 -1000, Prema Qadir <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>After you read the description of Virtual Server, I hope someone can tell
>me whether or not I can run a LISTSERV software program on a Virtual Server.

Based on your description, yes, LISTSERV can probably run on a 'Virtual
Server'.  It depends on 2 things.  The actual operating system used
(Windows NT or some flavor of unix) must be one that LISTSERV supports (it
supports 15 or more OS's so this is not likely to be a problem).

The second challenge is that LISTSERV must have full and unshared access to
the inbound SMTP port (25) for incoming mail.  This is not a problem unless
you also plan to run a mailserver program (which also wants exclusive
access to port 25) on the same physical machine.  LISTSERV requires its own
exclusive access and cannot share it.  Either the mailer pgm or LISTSERV
will work, but not both.

There is only 1 exception.  LISTSERV, if running under Window NT, can
coexist with Lsoft's mail server program LSMTP.  LSMTP does not exist for
unix, so this is a WinNT solution only.  For unix, the mailer program must
be on a different physical machine, but connected via a network connection.
 Ben Parker .....(Oak Park IL -> Denver CO) ..... [log in to unmask]