Wed, 14 Sep 1994 00:34:54 -0500
No, I don't think our subscribers are paranoid, nor has the list changed
to one about perversity (you might get some argument about that when
cataloging rules are considered).  If there is any noticeable paranoia or
other mental illnesss asssociated with AUTOCAT it is undoubtedly mine.

The problem is we had an ad posted to the list, despite trying to keep
such out.  I thought it got through via forgery of some part of the
header.  Our LISTSERV administrator, at my request, searched the pertinent
logs and his response supports my original suspicion: it was a well done
forgery.

My questions to LSTOWN-L in relation to this have not had as their goal
keeping the list a secret, to the extent possible.  I know how to do that.
Nor is the intent to deny information as to the nature of the list.  We
are proud of the list and would like everyone who has any interest (other
than commercial exploitation) to subscribe.

My items to this list on the matter the past few days have been in the
nature of groping for good ways to restrict, at least partially, the
information a forger needs to work with, while still keeping the list open
for the free discussion it has always enjoyed.  I realise I'm trying to
reconcile features that aren't going to mesh properly, but I can't help
but ask about various list functions if I am not sure how they relate to
one another, exactly what a particular keyword defines, etc.

So I'm frequently a pest and no doubt often appear a fool.  I couldn't
care less what you think of me.  All I care about is stimulating response
that will give me advice, ideas, anything at all that will help me try to
keep what has been a very fine list for many years the list our
subscribers expect it to be.

Douglas
        Douglas Winship    Austin, Texas    [log in to unmask]
                    Secondary AUTOCAT Listowner