Norm Aleks <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 19 Jan 1995 20:29:04 -0500
On Thu, 19 Jan 1995, Leon D. Wald wrote:

> Unfortunately, the above is not true for my list, perhaps because I have both
> Subscription= Open,Confirm and
> Validate= Yes,Confirm,NoPW
>
> I have tried 2 commands of the form:
> add datarecd [log in to unmask] First M. Last pw=ppppppp
>
> In both cases I, as owner, was prompted to confirm the command.

OK, I  am going to say what  I *think* is the  truth, and if I'm wrong some
better informed person  can follow up.  Using  "Validate= Yes,Confirm,NoPW"
explicitly turns off support for using passwords, which means that commands
changing   the list will  *always*  require magic-cookie confirmation.  So,
really, you have  *chosen* always to have  to confirm the command.   If you
were to take the "NoPW" from the header, the pw=pppppppp should work.

> Norm, if I do use the commands:
> //LIB-DISC-ADD JOB PW=xxxxxx
> quiet add lib-disc DD=NAMES
> //NAMES DD *
> [log in to unmask]                 Norm Aleks
> [log in to unmask]                     Joe User
>
> as you suggested, what is the meaning of "LIB-DISC-ADD"? How do I determine
> that parameter for my application? Also, will this technique send the "You
> have been subscribed ..." and Welcome files to all the new users?

Now, this one I  feel comfortable replying to  :-).  "LIB-DISC-ADD" is just
the  name of the  job, and you  can use anything you want.   All it ends up
doing, from your perspective, is changing the subject line, i.e. "Output of
your job LIB-DISC-ADD".  If you leave it blank (but you  must still leave a
space between  the slashes and the word  JOB, i.e. "// JOB"), then LISTSERV
will use your username as the job name, i.e. "Output of your job NALEKS".

And, in the command *I* gave, no welcome and "you have been added" messages
would be sent,  because I said "QUIET ADD"  rather than "ADD".  "ADD" would
result in those  messages being sent.  (Putting "QUIET"  in front of almost
any command results in the normal output for the command not being mailed.)

Norm
--
"Chef Throws his Heart into Helping Feed Needy"