Tom Rawson <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 18 Jan 2002 09:33:46 -0500
While trying to do an archive search just now I got this:

    Error during command authentication

    Error - unable to initiate communication with LISTSERV (errno=65535,
    phase=RECEIVE, target=149.68.45.24:2306). The server is probably not
    started.

The search was of the form:

        (word1 word2) or (word2 word1)

for example:

        (broken parts) or (parts broken)

Searching on either of the two-word phrases alone, with or without
parentheses around it, gets the same error.  The individual words in my
query are very common on the list but the two-word phrases I searched for
are not.  A search on a different, single word and a different two-word
phrase worked fine, but the words tried in the searches that worked are
far less common on the list.  I don't know if how common the words are is
the real issue, it's just the obvious difference between the searches.

The list has monthly archives, 57 files from 9705 through 0201, totaling
69,302,486 bytes as of this morning.

Is this likely a configuration problem (for the list itself or elsewhere)?
An archive size problem?  A transient or timing problem?  A bug?  Some
combination of these?

Thanks for any help!

-----
Tom Rawson           [log in to unmask]