Gilles Breton <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 29 Sep 1998 12:20:37 -0400
Automatic digest processor, merci de votre message du 29/09/98 00:28

>REVIEW <listname> BY COUNTRY to the LISTSERV address.   Thus the number of
subscribers per country
>that one obtains by using that command is only approximate: it
>underestimates the number of subscribers from outside the US and inflates
>the number from within the US since all the 3 character code addresses are
>considered part of the US domain.

Thanks to all who replied to my "should-have
review-the-archive-before-question". I know the basic principles of email
addressing. I learned about telneting and ISP having address in remote
areas. I learned also about the BY COUNTRY option of the review command.
I assure you I read all the owner manual but I missed that one.

But it would'nt help me much. The list I manage is in french so the vast
majority of 3 character code addresses will not be in the USA but in a
french speaking country. I have one Pacbell.net subscriber and I
remembered it is an american company after he told me he lives in
California.

I didn't wanted to start a debate or a flame war over a simple question.
I just thought there would be a server somewhere on the Net (Internic) or
something that you could query and that would verify by the net in which
country is located a particular node for an email address.

Then, I tried to telnet at "internic.net" I got this screen:

* -- InterNIC Registration Services Center  --
*
* For the *original* whois type:     WHOIS [search string] <return>
* For referral whois type:           RWHOIS [search string] <return>
*
* For user assistance call (703) 742-4777
# Questions/Updates on the whois database to [log in to unmask]
* Please report system problems to [log in to unmask]

The InterNIC Registration Services database contains ONLY
non-military and non-US Government Domains and contacts.
Other associated whois servers:
       American Registry for Internet Numbers - whois.arin.net
       European IP Address Allocations        - whois.ripe.net
       Asia Pacific IP Address Allocations    - whois.apnic.net
       US Military                            - whois.nic.mil
       US Government                          - whois.nic.gov
Cmdinter Ver 1.3 Tue Sep 29 12:14:02 1998 EST
[vt220] InterNIC >

I tried pacbell.net and got informations (California address). I tried an
address i know in in Europe and one in Canada and got nothing. I tried a
connection to "ripe.net" and "whois.ripe.net" and got nothing. I will
email "[log in to unmask]" to see if I can get more information.

Bye

Gilles Breton
http://pages.infinit.net/bregi/adoption/index.html
ICQ: 15730364