"Michael S. Johnson" <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 21 Feb 1999 11:23:21 -0800
On Sun, 21 Feb 1999, Vince Sabio wrote:

> Hey, if we're going to take the time to standardize .sigs, can we also
> standardize the placement of replies in messages to mailing lists?

Doesn't sound like a bad idea, but are you sure there isn't already a
standard?  Wouldn't be a good use of time to try to reinvent an existing
standard.

Not only that, but which way would you prefer to standardize it?  Most
recent at the top, or bottom?  I've seen software do it both ways, humans
who do it both ways by choice and for effect, and some software even
threads the quoted replies.  I've gotten used to adjusting the way I read
mail because of those practices, but I'm not sure which of those I like
more, or find easier to read.  How much would you gain by standardizing
one over the other, and how much would you lose by alienating the users
who prefer the opposite way?  I don't see that standardizing the message
reply sequence has equal or more benefit than standardizing signature
demarcation, although the first implies more changes to existing e-mail
software features than the other.

BTW: all this talk about standardizing has me interested in looking up the
process on writing RFCs.  Does anyone have any advice for me, such as
where I would look to learn how to write them?  Even discouragement would
be interesting to read.  ^_^  Private e-mail, please.

Thank you,