"Stephen W. Thompson" <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 15 Oct 1996 14:41:12 -0400
Friends,

I've looked in the (beta 1.8c version of the) manual, I've done searches
on the archives and yet I can't find an answer to something that *must*
have been discussed on the list before.  Finally, I need to add to
the traffic.

Is there a MAILTPL entry available to modify the message given when
the list is configured for "Send= Private" and a posting is sent
from a non-subscriber's e-mail address?

I found SUB_CLOSED, SUB_OWNER and POST_OWNER, but I don't find
POST_PRIVATE (or something equivalent).  I know there are possible
entries documented in the manual which aren't found in DEFAULT
MAILTPL, and , I believe, other, non-documented entries which have
been discussed on LSTOWN-L and LSTSRV-L.  Is this a message that is
unmodifiable (until some later release, perhaps)?

= == The message, in brief: ===================================

From: "L-Soft list server at ISC Classlists (1.8b)" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Rejected posting to [log in to unmask]

You  are  not  authorized  to  send  mail to  the  XXXXX  list  from  your
[log in to unmask] account.  You might be  authorized to send to  the list
from another of your accounts, or perhaps when using another mail program which
generates slightly  different addresses, but  LISTSERV has no way  to associate
[snip]

= == End of the message, in brief ===============================

Incidentally (for Pete Weiss's amusement :-) I used the following
searches, and retrieved selectively from the rather long indexes that
resulted, without finding a POST_PRIVATE equivalent:

> s message private in lstown-l
> s * in lstown-l where subject contains ( mailtpl or template )
> s * in lstown-l where subject contains ( mailtpl or template )
            (and, I believe)
> s 'not authorized' in lstown-l

Thanks for any help.

En paz,
Steve
--
Stephen W. Thompson, U. of PA, Data Administration, 215-898-1236, WWW has PGP
[log in to unmask]    URL=http://pobox.upenn.edu/~thompson/index.html