Dennis Budd <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 9 Apr 2002 18:37:16 -0500
See below...

On Tue, 9 Apr 2002, Tom Rawson wrote:

>On 9 Apr 2002 Dennis Budd wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 9 Apr 2002, Richard Keller wrote:
>>
>> >So, from what you're saying, it looks like you want to change Send=Private to
>> >Send=Editor,Hold,Confirm.
>>
>> No, the idea is to have all *new* subscribers moderated, not to have
>> all subscribers to the list moderated.  The latter is what the
>> Send=Editor,etc. parameter would do.
>
>You are correct.  All we want to do is moderate posts by new subscribers
>(via Default-Options= Review) and problem posters whom we set to review.
>But we want any one of three or four people to be able to approve the
>posts.
>
>As I said, I think all I need to do to do this is set Moderator= All,...,
>and that Editor= is not needed.  I want to verify that, and also know if I
>need to have the primary list owner's address on the Moderator= list or if
>it is implied.
>
>-----
>Tom Rawson           [log in to unmask]

Suddenly very bad memories of my distant past are returning.  They
involve things that are to be found nowhere in the Listserv
documentation.  I think you had better use a test list to determine
whether what you are trying to do will work.

One of the lists I own is defined as "Send= Editor, Hold", the other
is defined as "Send= Private".  On the list defined as "Send= Editor",
the Editor= keyword works as specified in the documentation.  On the
list defined as "Send= Private", it does not.  It instead acts as if
the "Editor=" and "Moderator=" keywords are totally ignored, with all
posts requiring approval being sent to the primary listowner no matter
what.  My experience was more than 2 years ago, on a previous 1.8d
version of Listserv, but I have no reason to believe that anything has
changed since then.

For the ugly details, refer to my message of September 2000 at:

http://peach.ease.lsoft.com/scripts/wa.exe?A2=ind0009&L=lstown-l&D=0&P=17965

What you are trying to do is different, but I have every reason to
believe from my own experience that it will not work on a list defined
as "Send= Private".

What you will have to do in that case is to redefine the list as a
"self-moderated" list, i.e.:

      Send= Editor, Hold
      Editor= [log in to unmask]
      Editor= <list of whatever other moderators you want to have>
      Editor= (name-of-list)

You absolutely will need the "Editor=" keyword defined if you do this.

The editors can all be combined on one line separated by commas if
there is room on the line.  The listname is enclosed in parentheses,
and it makes all listmembers "editors", meaning any of them (unless
set to REVIEW) can post directly to the list.  Only the first editor
(who doesn't actually *have* to be the primary listowner) is sent
posts for approval unless the "Moderator=" keyword is also used.

One consequence of this is that posts sent from non list-members will
now go to the editor for approval instead of being rejected outright.
For me, this is desirable (except for the spam that gets sent to the
list address), but even if it's not desirable, it's a price you have
to pay for setting the list up this way.

On the issue of whether the addresses in the "Moderator=" keyword have
to also be defined in the "Editor=" keyword, the List Owner's manual
states:

"Note that whereas an Editor is not required to be a Moderator, a
Moderator should always be listed as an Editor.  LISTSERV currently
compares the contents of the "Editor=" and "Moderator=" keywords and
consolidates the two sets of parameters if necessary, but coding lists
this way is not considered good practice and the "compare/consolidate"
feature may be removed in a future upgrade."

Dennis