Francoise Becker <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 27 Apr 1998 18:14:23 -0400
On 27 Apr 98 at 15:07, Mark Drake wrote:

> AFAIK, back when the gateway was working, the newsgroup was spam free,
> since I used the listserv to moderate the newsgroup

Well, as far as I'm concerned, it's not so much spam on the list or
newsgroup that bothers me... what really turns me off of newsgroups
is that the minute that you post to a newsgroup (or post to a list
that is gated to a newsgroup), your address is added to dozens of
spammer lists, since the spammers find the newsgroups to be such a
great place for harvesting e-mail addresses. That's why I avoid
knowingly posting to newsgroups. If a list is gated to a newsgroup,
then that is more insidious because you don't necessarily realize
that you're posting to a newsgroup when you post to the list :-(

Francoise