Michael Shannon <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 3 Sep 2002 14:15:23 +1000

> Apologies if this is something really obvious, I haven't been
> a list owner
> for very long.  Today I received a message from listserv
> saying: "Warning: 9
> out of 10 license points are currently in use. L-Soft
> recommends a 20".  I
> have no idea what this means, and the online manual seems to
> say very little
> about license points.  Can anyone offer any advice?

Naomi

this tells you a couple of things.  Firstly, it tells you that you're not
just a list owner but a LISTSERV Site Maintainer as well (lucky you!).
These messages are only ever sent to people who are defined as a LISTSERV
Postmaster.

Secondly, it's telling you that you are reaching the upper limit of your
licencing.  LISTSERV is licenced in a number of ways; the type of licence
you have is 'graduated' which simply means that you are only allowed a
certain number of lists and/or subscribers.  Each list consumes at least one
point.  As the subscribership grows it may consume further points.  The
breakdown looks like this:

No. of Subscribers  |  Points per list
--------------------------------------
0 - 150             |    1
151 - 300           |    2
301 - 500           |    3
501 - 1000          |    4
1001 - unlimited    |    5

If you've used 9 out of 10 points for your licence then you can only create
one more list (of up to 150 subscribers) or allow one of your lists to grow
beyond the next threshold.  To get an idea of where you sit, issue the
following command:

SHOW POINTS ALL

This will tell you the name(s) of your list(s), number of subscribers for
each, and how many points are in use for each.  If you think you're likely
to need more lists or more subscribers then you'll have to contact L-Soft
for more points or start pruning lists.

--
Chazzozz!!

Michael Shannon
Webmaster

"Before you can grow old and wise you must first survive being young and
stupid." - Ancient Proverb

Note: Opinions expressed on this list are my own and do not reflect the
views, opinions or position of my employer.  If swallowed, seek medical
advice.