"Geert K. Marien" <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 7 Jul 1997 23:56:25 EDT
   I think  it is clear...   AOL users should  get a real  provider, not
someone who will muck things up like this.  My AOL count on my lists has
dropped  *dramatically*  with the  capacity  problems  AOL brought  upon
themselves, and  many more people  have left  AOL for other  reasons.  I
have had 3 (three) new AOL subscriptions in the last 30 days.  More than
35 (more like 38) people have moved to real ISP's.

   My problems  with AOL have been  there since day one,  especially the
continuing way  they handle error messages  back to Listserv, and  it is
clear  that they  don't want  to improve  in a  net friendly  way (their
internal philosophy of  how their machines handle e-mail  and looking up
users names and mailbox full status does  not appear to be making a turn
for the better).  Does anyone know differently?

   Routinely, on  a good day, I  get 500 bounced e-mail  messages for my
lists from  AOL.  A good  many of  them are three  days old, so,  for my
largest list  which has  95 postings a  day, I will  get back  285 error
messages per user before I even *know* there is a problem.  That doesn't
make me a happy camper.

   They have *massive* problems - the  first being their size.  With *so
many*  users, there  are  bound to  be *so  many*  problems given  their
structure.

   I don't have a  solution, nor do I care about what  they do.  If they
want to  be the biggest, fine,  but the *least*  they could do is  be up
front and tell people what kind of e-mail service they will get.

   Whenever  one of  their users  complains to  me about  no-email, lost
e-mail, or why  they got "digested" or  removed from one of  my lists, I
send them  a little  blurb about who  they can move  to for  good e-mail
service.  There are a LOT of good ISP's on my list.

   I think  AOL is  great for  beginners and  people who  want something
specific (like game playing), but  for *serious* e-mail, it just doesn't
cut it in my book.

   What I need, AOL, is for you to take serious note of your role in the
Internet World, and realize that it also means that you should work with
people  like us  list owners  in a  serious manner.   Making *our*  life
easier  also   makes  *your*   life  easier.    The  sooner   (and  more
automatically) that we can handle rejections, the less of a burden *you*
will have.  Doesn't that make sense?

   Remember the first rule of holes: if you are in one, quit digging.

**  Geert K. Marien : [log in to unmask]  (Bitnet: GKMQC@PUCC)  **
**              ListOwner: AIRLINE, RAILROAD, and STAMPS              **
**    (All contents are my own opinions - unless otherwise stated)    **
**         Watch EastEnders - The Soap Opera for REAL People!         **