John B Harlan <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 16 Jan 1993 06:53:46 -0500
With Bayla's blessing, I'm forwarding these good suggestions to the
entire LstOwn-L list for discussion ...  (Thanks, Bayla -- I'm game!)

                                                                 John

[Forwarded message begins]

Date: 16 Jan 1993 06:47:01 -0500 (EST)
From: [log in to unmask] (Bayla Singer)
Subject: novices etc
To: [log in to unmask]

Dear john Harlan,

How about some sort of monthly posting, or squib in the 'welcome new
subscriber' message, pointing to the resources available and how to use
them?  Something along the lines of Don Mabry's occasional posting to the
History list, for example, reminding everyone of his ftp-space files and
how to get them.  Another list to which I breifly belonged also had a set
of I think three new-member files that got sent automagically, outlining
the various subsets (in their case it was jobs, journal references, book
reviews, but in this case it could be mailers, ftps, faqs, etc).

Even those who have been Netsurfing for a while before coming to listownr
are likely to have gaps in their knowledge.

If you think this might have general interst for the list, feel free to
repost it there.  And yes, I would be willing to help write such files --
once I knew what was going on!  I have helped out with reviewing and
editing a site's user manual, so I do have some experience in that line.

--bayla     [log in to unmask]

[Forwarded message ends]