Grégory Juster <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 2 May 2000 15:07:31 -0400
That's exactly what I'm telling my client. There's no way to know if the
customer email client support HTML. Best way in our case, ask the customer
to choose between plain or html in a form and then send 2 email, one html
formatted and another plain text.
I'm using dbms mail-merge so the custoemrs are stored in SQL. It's no a big
deal from there adding a field and doing 2 send.

Thanks anyway,

Greg

-----Original Message-----
From: Jonathan Waggoner [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Tuesday, May 02, 2000 2:45 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Bullets (&#61623;)

   Listserv doesn't really care what format you send the mail in. It
just passes things on to a DB of addresses. You'll need an email client
that can support it, and the recipient needs the same. The mime headers
should include 'content-type: text/html; charset="iso-8859-1"'. Once you
get it working correctly, send the message to listserv and away it goes.

It's probably easier for what you do to use a text bulleted list:
 * Easier to code
 * no messy mime settings
 * everyone can read it!

  OK, now the soap-box ;~D  I've been maintaining the lists at
garden.org for a while now, and our biggest client, Burpee seeds
(160,000 subscribers) wanted HTML. We argued for a long time, and I did
a lot of research into the text or HTML issues with email newsletters.
The biggest hurdle is the lack of standards in email clients. There's no
way of knowing what software anyone is using, and whether or not it
supports HTML. We finally decided on two lists (Burpeenews &
Burpeenews-html original huh?). Nothing but a big headache from day one.

Good luck Greg!
--
Jonathan Waggoner
Web Developer