Larry Stephens <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 10 Jan 1996 10:23:41 GMT-0500
I'm currently using Mercury to service my lists. (I've ben discussing this
problem with its author and other advisers for some time.)

It does a good job, although not nearly as full featured as listserv (but,
it's also free).

One never ending problem for me, though, is its reliance on an errors-to
header to direct bounce messages. Most of the error messages end up going
back to the subscriber who submitted the message. They don't appreciate
getting 10 bounces (AOL is down, full mailbox, unknown user, etc.) for
every message submitted.

Looking at the full header from this list I see a return-path header that
doesn't exist in my Mercury messages. Is this how listserv protects the
user from error messages? If so, is its location within the header
important (i.e., should it be at the top of the header)?

Thanks.

  Larry Stephens  ([log in to unmask])
  Indiana University Office of Risk Management
  400 E. 7th Room 705, Bloomington, IN 47405
  812-855-9758