Trish Forrest <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 19 Apr 1995 22:13:58 -0400
On Wed, 19 Apr 1995, Bill Bauriedel wrote:

> REPLY TO 04/19/95 13:06 FROM [log in to unmask] "LISTSERV list owners'
> forum": Re: When is an Ad not an Ad?
>
> Natalie wrote:
>
> > What are your thoughts about a list that solicits contributions in
> > order to pay graduate students to help run the list?
>
> Well, there is work involved and somewhere, somehow somebody is
> paying for this work to get done.  Perhaps your employer considers
> this part of your job and it gets paid for that way.  Perhaps it is
> done on a volunteer basis outside of work hours.  Not everyone wants
> to volunteer their time this way.

  I really think that it is a matter of how familiar one is with the
list and the listowner.  I have only been asked by one listowner for
voluntary funds...I sent them gladly because the list (mednews)
was important to not only me but to many others at our site.

  If you receive a request for funds to support a list, check it out and
make sure that the $$ is going to a services that you support.

> As the U.S. government is about to cutoff funding for Internet
> support, this issue may become more important.  Although the amount
> of money is relatively small compared to what universities and
> corporations are putting into making the infrastructure work, it is
> never-the-less an important component of financing all this startup
> work.  As universities and corporations are under more pressure to
> support the Internet, many institutions will begin to take a closer
> look at where the money is going.  Some listservs may be closed,
> moved or cutback as a result.  This will put added pressure to pay
> people to keep important listservs alive.

  This is also true, and the $$ that I sent some years ago to David
Doddell was from my personal account...not from University funds...but
at that time we had few subscribers to mednews.  I think things would
be different now, and University Funds would be forthcoming...though
he has not asked for more $$ as far as I know....nor has any other
list.

  I think the most important thing is to feel comnfortable and have
some confidence in the list you are supporting, be it for a scanner
or for any other equipment that list members want the listowner to
purchase.  You could always ask here before sending your $$. :-)
I'm sure many subscribers of this list could guide someone. (Sorry,
I don't like speaking for others...but I seem to do it in these
circumstances).
--
--Trish
Trish forrest, Computing Services, University of Windsor