Francoise Becker <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 23 Mar 2000 17:24:20 -0500
Looks like they've fixed their scripts. I've been able to submit a
request to my list. Here's what it looks like on the LISTSERV end:

23 Mar 2000 16:37:12 Processing file 44137154 from [log in to unmask]
23 Mar 2000 16:37:12 From [log in to unmask]: sub epilepsy-l "remarqhater"
23 Mar 2000 16:37:12 To   [log in to unmask]: Please supply your full name, as in "SUBSCRIBE EPILEPSY-L Joe H. Smith". (...)
23 Mar 2000 16:37:12 Sent information mail to:

Note that they didn't even bother to find out that they need a first
and last name. Another sign of incompetence.

Now here's the weird thing. I then received an email at my
Remarq.com account from [log in to unmask] It was
dated Feb 11 and it said:

>    unsub epilepsy-l
>
> You are not subscribed to the EPILEPSY-L list under the address your
> message came from ([log in to unmask]). You are being
> mailed some additional information with a few hints on getting your
> subscription cancelled. Please read these instructions before trying
> anything else.

Just to make sure, I double-checked today's log. Nope -- no signoff
requests from me. Which means that I must have received
someone else's mail who tried to signoff on Feb 11! These people
are brilliant, aren't they?

Just to see what happened, I unsubbed (which closes off your
access to mail from or about the list) and then did another
subscribe to epilepsy-l, and sho'nuf I got the "can't unsub" request
from the previous subscription.

I tried posting a message to the list -- it claimed to have sent it with
the caveat that some lists are moderated so it might not get
posted. I moderate non-subscriber posts -- I have not received the
approval request yet.

So far, their incompetence has only denied access to my list, and
that's fine with me. However, I'm not going to stick around and wait
for their incompetence to result in broadcasting my list to the entire
Internet. I'm putting:

Filter=Also,*@*.remarq.com,*@remarq.com

into my list header and requesting that they remove my list from
their service.

Francoise