Natalie Maynor <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 18 Jun 1996 05:50:40 -0500
> A second to Dan Lester's call for a fix on
> [log in to unmask] and [log in to unmask]

I may be confused about what we're talking about here -- I've been swamped
with stuff lately and haven't been paying close attention.  But if the point
is to make LISTSERV equate the two addresses above, I see potential problems.

The only problem that would affect me personally (re my own subscriptions)
would be that my archiving system for ADS-L would be wrecked.  (My regular
subscription to the list comes to [log in to unmask]  My digest
subscription comes to [log in to unmask] for daily archiving.  Those are
*not* equivalent addresses.)

What worries me more than that one personal problem I would have is that
the same thing could happen with two different people.  My somewhat unusual
last name makes it unlikely that I would need to worry about somebody on
another machine on our campus with the same userid.  If I were named Smith,
that would be a concern.

What I don't understand is why the systems involved don't make their
outgoing mail have an appropriate address.  If [log in to unmask]
edu and [log in to unmask] and [log in to unmask] are all
really the same address, why not have all mail go out from just one form
of it -- ideally that last one?  I think I'm technically [log in to unmask]
edu right now -- i.e., I think that's the machine I logged onto this
morning.  If anybody sent me mail at that address, I'd get it, but that
address would never show up in my from line.  When this note leaves here,
it will be magically transformed to appear to be from [log in to unmask]
The purpose is to avoid the kind of hassles people are describing.  If I
send mail from [log in to unmask], however, I am in fact on a totally
different machine.  It's really archive.msstate.edu but is configured to
be just msstate.edu.  My point is that systems people are quite capable
of solving the problems we seem to be worrying about.  Why don't they all
do it?
   --Natalie ([log in to unmask])