"P. Divirgilio" <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 13 Jun 1994 11:21:42 -0400
I frequently want to send texts in other languages. Mainly French but
also Spanish and German. Although the German diactrics pose little
problem--you just convert back to pre-19th century spelling. The
problem is a lack of standardization. Could anyone at ECHO tell me how
they handle this problem? If I want to send a text in Chinese or
Japanese is "ping-ying" transcript appropriate? I have a program
available which will generate several types of characters. What about
the receiver? Our site says that MIME is a sort of unofficial standard
but that reception of the text is a problem at many sites and that of
course the size of the text becomes a real problem. I just finished an
article where Hebrew lexicography was mentioned. Can I send texts in
Hebrew?--Paul
--

Dr. Paul S. di Virgilio,  University of Toronto  [log in to unmask]