Dan Frezza <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 23 Jun 1998 19:18:22 -0400
Dear Tom,

        Good points also and I can understand your point of view very well.  I
neglected to mention, several months back, a potential problem that almost
got out of hand as a result of allowing current subscribers to "review" a
list, ie, actually see who has subscribed, except for those who were
concealed.

        The problem, it turned out, was somebody developed a "spam" list, that used
a good portion of our subscriber list, to retaliate one's view on a topic
"off-list".  I know the list was obtained via the "review" option, since it
was set 'on' and because after some tracing and arm-twisting, I finally
caught up with the person who did this and he saw absolutely nothing wrong
with it.  Because I acted swiftly on this matter, I was able to contain the
situation.  After this strange incident, I decided it would be much safer in
terms of respecting one's privacy, in the least, by not allowing a whole
subscriber list to float around.

        I do understand that my list, "Assisi-L" is a public mailing list.  However,
I also feel, when its possible, to suppress any possibilities of mass
spamming.  Since then, I haven't had any problems or reports from any of our
subscribers complaining about spamming from subscribers on our list.

Dan Frezza, SFO
Listowner of Assisi-L