Dan Lester <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 15 Nov 1995 20:57:55 MST
On Sun, 12 Nov 1995 23:09:40 -0600 Winship said:
>Now, putting RENEW in the Default-Options *does* work retroactively, at
>least it did for AUTOCAT, to my cost.  I hadn't expected it as most of
>the keywords don't work retroactively, but RENEW sure did.  If it ain't
>supposed to there must'a been a bug somewhere, as 3500+ subscribers were
>set to RENEW as soon as I changed the header.

   No, not a bug.  And the SUBSCRIBERS weren't set to anything.  The status
on them still showed when they last had a change.  What DID change was that
you told LISTSERV to start processing renewals according to schedule.  That
DOES mean that the next time Renew processing runs on your system (such as
nightly) that it DID find that a whole bushel of folks got renewals the
FIRST time it was run.  Then very few each day after that.  Until some
(renewal period) later, a whole bunch will get them again.  Over the long
term the "humps" in renewal patterns will even out more or less.

   When I set my lists to RENEW I WARNED people first....so that they would
be aware in advance.  In fact, I notified them several days in advance.  And
over half got the notices.  Also, before setting renew, I set the usenet
gateway and a number of local redistributions (of the format [log in to unmask])
to norenew so that they wouldn't be hit, or dropped just because the person
who set it up is long gone.

cyclops

  Dan Lester, Network Information Coordinator
  Albertsons Library, Boise State University, Boise, Idaho 83725 USA
  [log in to unmask]             http://cyclops.idbsu.edu/
  How can one fool make another wise?  Kansas, "No One Together," 1979