Gabriel Goldberg <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 10 Oct 1998 18:12:34 -0400
Francoise Becker <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Yup. We do that a lot, and have standard forms for it. Anytime
> we find out about a misuse of the name we send out the forms. Even
> with LISTSERV customers, if they misuse the name, using it as a
> generic on a web page and we find out about it, we send them a
> "nudge" and explain the legal technicalities. If we didn't, we'd lose
> the trademark. Usually a nudge is all that's needed, because most
> people just don't realize the trademark issue, and as soon as we make
> them aware of it, they are generally quite willing to comply.

I'm always amazed when I make the point about LISTSERV being a
trademarked product name, not a generic term for anything, and people
argue about that not being true, or it not mattering, or my being a
nit-picker. ("Don't nit-pick" was response on a writers' list, where I
expected more respect for accuracy and intellectual property rights.)

Not that everyone -- or even most people -- read boilerplate welcome to
mailing lists, but it might be useful to include a paragraph in that on
what LISTSERV(r) is vs. a mailing list, mailing list management
software, etc. That would give list owners opportunity to remind
subscribers of what they (maybe) saw when they subscribed, and provide
canned graf that those of us who care could send to those of us who
stray.

--
Gabriel Goldberg, Computers and Publishing, Inc.          (703) 941-1657
6580 Bermuda Green Court, Alexandria, VA 22312-3103   FAX (703) 941-1791