Jim Gerland - Network User Support <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 23 Nov 1994 12:43:15 EST
On Wed, 23 Nov 1994 09:30:32 -0800 Sylvia Caras said:
>*  Info Page.  Where do I put the file to be sent when a
>persons asks for INFO MADNESS?  I added an INFO file to the
>FILELIST but that didn't work.

This is a LISTSERV Maintainer function, not a List Owner feature.

>*  LISTSERV directory structure.  I don't quite grasp why I
>am repeating the listname twice in some get and put
>commands.  What is the organizing principle here?  How do
>filenames and filetypes and filelists compare to DOS drives
>and directories and files?

A FILELIST contains files.
A file is made up of two parts: the FILENAME and the FILETYPE
The GET and PUT commands require: FILENAME FILETYPE FILELIST
This is because there might be the same FILENAME FILETYPE in
a different FILELIST which is not the same.  Think of the FILELIST
as the directory or folder.

>*  What do the initials VMS, and CMS stand for?

Virtual Memory System (Digital Equipment Corporation)
Conversation Monitoring System (IBM Corporation)

>*  SET CONCEAL: I have some concealed subscribers.  Are they
>ever visible?  To me, the co-owner, the postmaster, the
>system administrator?

Yes, to all of the above with the command: GET list-name (NOLOCK

>*  How do I access and use SUB_NEW, ADD_NEW, DEL_SIGNOFF?  I
>would like to send other introductory messages
>and tally signoffs.

Don't bother with those.  To send an additional introductory message
add a file called 'your-list-name WELCOME' to your FILELIST.  To tally
signoffs, change the Notify= list header keyword.

>*  LISTSERV documentation:  I have a series of documentation
>files.  If you have suggestions for things that, from the
>above questions, I clearly haven't read, I'd appreciate the
>references.

Send [log in to unmask] the command: GET LSVOWNER PACKAGE LSVOWNER