Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 23 Mar 1995 05:19:59 +0100
Bill, your assumptions are all correct.

>>DISTRIBUTE jobs processed:       480252        15492
>
>      Are these *all* from other listservs that are cooperating in the
>      distribute process?

That's the total,  counting the internally generated ones.  So the number
of jobs from  other servers is this  minus the next number.  This info is
mostly for me in making stats about  the algorithm. I need this number so
I can calculate ratios from the other numbers, in and of itself it is not
important.  As a  system administrator  your  main concern  would be  the
number of  mail items  generated. Since 1.7f,  DISTRIBUTE is  fast enough
that the cycles these jobs use up are just not an issue.

>>Outbound DISTRIBUTE jobs:        922649        29763
>
>      Are these the combined results of the above two groups?

No, these are the jobs your server sent to other servers.

>>In non-BSMTP format:             141315         4559
>
>      What are these non-bsmtp files?

This is a  historical naming convention, nowadays  everything is actually
sent  in  BSMTP  format.  But  these particular  messages  had  a  single
recipient and  were for people with  headers that require their  name and
address to be in the "To:" field.

>>Recipients:                    11427234       368620

That's what you'd need to worry  about. Roughly speaking, if this is more
than  the first  "Recipients:" figure  (the  one for  your local  lists),
you're giving more than you're receiving. PSU is about even, UGA is 8:1.

  Eric