Nathan Brindle <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 20 Jan 1997 23:14:59 EST
On Mon, 20 Jan 1997 21:43:00 PST Chris Guccio said:
>I am currently a creator of many lists at my site.  Whenever I create a list
>I am told to create three aliases:

For completeness you should be creating two more as well:

  nameoflist@... is the alias for the list itself.

  owner-nameoflist@... is the RFC821 MAIL FROM:<> address for the list
    and is the address to which all well-behaved mail daemons are
    supposed to send non-delivery notices.  It maps to the "Errors-To-"
    setting for the list.

  nameoflist-request@... is a generic alias that points to all of the
    non-Quiet: list owners of the specified list.

  nameoflist-server@... is an old canonical alias that actually points
    to [log in to unmask]  It's for people who don't know the server address
    for the specified list.

  nameoflist-search-request@... is something new for 1.8c.  It is the
    address to which GETPOST commands are returned to.

>When I do not create them it causes all sorts of problems.

Yep, since if you don't create them, sendmail doesn't know what to do
with mail that gets sent to them.  QED; bounce bounce.

For unix you can make all of these automagically with the Makefile, just
by issuing 'make list name=listname' (where "listname" is the name of
the list you are making aliases for).  Naturally you have to have
root permissions to do this as it modifies /etc/aliases and then runs
'newaliases'.

Nathan