Gilles Frydman <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 19 Dec 2000 06:53:00 -0500
At 09:22 PM 12/18/2000 -0700, you wrote:
>On Mon, 18 Dec 2000 20:03:26 -0500, Gilles Frydman <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> >I believe that only the listowners got spammed.
> >But it looks like the spammers used home to relay.
> >Am I correct in my assumption?
>
>Not exactly.  The ACOR node is hosted on the HOME machine, along with about 30
>other virtual hosting nodes.  The mail is sent to the listname-REQUEST@host
>address.  Since this is an address intended to reach the List-Owner(s) it
>cannot
>be blocked or filtered.  The mail did transit HOME but not in any improper
>way.
>Mail to the listname-REQUEST@host address must be handled by LISTSERV and
>forwarded to the list owner(s).  The only defense the List Owner has is a
>certain degree of tolerance, a readiness with the DELETE key and a good set of
>personal mail filters.

Thank you Ben.
You've just confirmed my thought.
There is nothing like a good set of personal filters:-)

Can you explain to our listowners why those addresses appear in the error
log of their list, even though they weren't subscribed to the lists?
I don't have the answer to that part of their request.

Gilles Frydman
ACOR.org