David Phillips <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 10 Apr 2007 17:21:35 -0400
On 4/10/07, Paul Russell <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> On 4/10/2007 16:31, David Phillips wrote:
> > On 4/10/07, Karen R <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> >> AOL even strips the address from feedback loop posts, so
> >> it is difficult (though not impossible -- a daily probe will allow one
> >> message every other day to be identified) to find out who is bouncing the
> >> mail.
> >
> > But the AOL feedback loop doesn't give info on bounces, it gives
> > feedback in the form of an email, whenever a AOLuser reports a message
> > as spam.  AOL also strips out the name of the sender unless you've set
> > them to full822 header, or have each recipients name actually IN the
> > message.
>
> Configure your list to use passive probes with a 1-day interval.
>
>         *  Auto-Delete= Yes,...,Probe(1)
>
> On any given day, the first message posted to the list will be sent as a
> passive probe to every non-NOMAIL, non-DIGEST, non-INDEX subscriber. AOL
> redacts email addresses from the headers of the messages which are reported
> as spam by its users, however, the process which does this is looking for
> syntactically valid email addresses, so it does not detect and redact the
> modified subscriber address embedded in the envelope-sender address.

I'll look into the Auto-Delete feature some more ... we haven't used
it so far, but that might just be inertia, rather than a specific
decision.

> Odds are, the FBL address leads to your list service administrator, so
> you will need to ask him/her to forward spam complaints about your list
> to you. If you encounter some reluctance, explain that you are attempting
> to do your part to ensure that his/her server is not blacklisted by AOL.

In our case, I'm one of the admins of the list machine, so that's not
a problem.  In any case, our FBL is setup to send its email to me, at
a few different addresses, including one that is completely
unaffiliated with the list, or our domain, or our machine.  When I
setup our FBL, there was no requirement that the address for the FBL
reports come to an address on the IP being monitored.  I haven't
bothered to see if that has changed (although I would like to stop the
FBL going to one of the addresses)

--
David Phillips
Molon Labe !