"Wayne T. Smith" <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 8 Jun 2001 15:06:23 -0400
Liz wrote, in part..
> This is written from a user perspective, not list owner.  I use Pegasus
> as my principle email program.  I get most of the high-volume Listserv
> lists I subscribe to in MIME digest form, as Pegasus handles them so
> well. There is one digest, based on MITVMA.MIT.EDU that has been
> consistently "truncating" after the first message as of late.  The
> entire message is there, only Pegasus is not recognizing the MIME
> formatting somehow.  ...

MITVMA.MIT.EDU is a VM site.  VM's SMTP has a known bug that will
cause some large e-mail to be truncated.  In this case, "large" means
greater than 64K characters.  It's a timing-related problem and can
cause e-mail clients quite a head-ache, as they all expect valid MIME.

So if this is your problem, changing from Pegasus won't fix the
problem, but may change the symptoms.  The VM vendor (IBM) has a
fix for the problem, but MIT may not be able to implement it in a timely
fashion ... contact them, please.  I'm sorry that I don't have the fix
number at hand, but can probably come up with it, if necessary.

There are other, less likely, IMHO causes.  The next most likely would
be an e-mail gateway that is munging the MIME headers.  If it is either
case, studying the mail with a text display program should show the
problem.  I'm unaware of any Pegasus problems with MIME digests,
but tend not to use that format much myself.  Hope this helps, wayne

Wayne T. Smith                       mailto:[log in to unmask]
Systems Group - UNET                 University of Maine System
LISTSERV maintainer for http://lists.Maine.edu/