Wes Morgan <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 24 May 1994 01:31:49 EDT
>>It will be interesting to see how they handle hundreds (if not thousands)
>>of irritated sysadms (or users) changing their sendmail.cf file or incoming
>>filters to dump core files to their site everytime they receive mail from
>>them.........
>
>My guess would be they would handle it with legal action of some sort.
>That may be where they see their profits really coming from.  Might
>be a good idea for list owners and administrators to discuss appropriate
>the defense to the company's unsolicited advertizing.

I would not send *anything* other than a standard mail bounce
message.  I'm working on configuring my systems to respond to
junk email (determined by sending address) with:

        Error: <fill-in-the-blank> is not authorized to use this gateway

and the reasonably standard "Undeliverable mail" subject line.

I can't seem to find anything that would proscribe this sort of
administrative decision.  Heck, the JANET folks *routinely* bounce
email with a "not authorized to use this gateway" error message.

If there's an argument to be made against this approach, I'd like
to hear it.  In *any* case, I urge postmasters and admins to con-
sider approaches such as this, as opposed to mailbombs and core
dumps.  If you think about it, the bounce messages alone will gen-
erate serious traffic...

--Wes