Dave Gomberg <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 23 Jul 1995 12:02:57 PDT
On Sun, 23 Jul 1995 12:16:21 -0600 you wrote:
>Is there any consortium being formed for example of postmasters or
>representatives at the major services, aol, prodigy, compuserve, eWorld,
>netcom etc. where we can look into what we may or may not do to STOP
>this once and for all.

The way to stop this is already in our hands, and provides much more benefits
that just the end of spam.  The way is edited lists.  I do not mean what is
sometimes called moderated lists, where the moderator tries to  keep the list
on topic, etc.  Edited lists just have the obvious junk edited out, help
requests, sub/unsub, spam, etc.  And there are some relatively simple ways to
accomplish this.  One is defaulting to digest.  Then the editor can kill an
item by overt act, but the default is that everything goes out each night.  And
the editor can go on vacation without a substitute.  Another simple way is
multiple editors, with Eric's dup prevention.

Dave Gomberg, Experimenta      San Francisco CA USA   [log in to unmask]