"Juan J. Noyles" <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 17 Nov 1996 02:23:42 -0500
Hello folks,

I was referred here by our list manager at TempleVM (Stan Horwitz).  I seem to have made a mistake that he doesn't know how to fix.

I "got" my list a couple of weeks ago, intent on editing things like the spelling of people's names and such.  When I PUT it back,
all hell broke loose.  I had noticed that some subscribers' flags had wrapped to the next line before I put it back, so I had taken
a few spaces out of some to make room on the lines for the flags.

My first inkling that something was wrong is that some subscribers now had the flags as part of their names.  I got the old version
of the list and put it back.  Then I got the weird notion that if I removed the flags from the list before I put it back, the
server would remember them from before and fix things for me.

The worst manifestation of my brainstorm is that when people sumbit articles to this nearly 200 member list, they're told that the
article only went to a few people (highest I've seen lately is 9).  I did a poll directly to the subscribers; a few of them aren't
receiving any mail from the list (only two, really).  But it bugs me and others that the article count is so skewed.

What should I do?  I haven't seen anything helpful in the list owners manual, but maybe I don't know where to look?