Thu, 28 May 1998 02:34:15 -0500
> I offer a suggestion.  Since the topic of holding and freeing lists is in
> the air, I would like to ask whether it is desirable or feasible to create
> a mechanism that automatically frees a list on a daily basis.

I can't say I see the point.  The daily threshhold is there for multiple
reasons.  You don't care how big the digest is (the digest people do)?
You don't care that the threshold has been exceeded because a mail loop
has been created?  Ok, you have a built in solution: get your list header
and raise the threshold limit for the duration (up it by 10? 20? 30?)
then return it to normal when you are "back on duty."

Another way to handle it is there is someone keeping an eye on the list
365 days per year.  My lists are like that, they have two, and only two
owners.  Most of the time all are on duty, every day, but there is
ALWAYS at least one owner for each list (sometimes it's me for everything
which makes me very nervous, but I almost never go on vacations so I am
the one who does it).  If you are a solo listowner you might think about
it.  Having a reliable co-owner who knows what he is doing can be a great
help (and a pain at times).  Lest anyone ask, no, I am NOT volunteering.

As to freeing, well, the digest is daily, and it can be a whopper even
if the threshold isn't reached.  If I get the 'hold" notice and there are
still twenty items yet to be distributed I wait until after the digest
goes out before I free.  Just the way I do it.            Douglas