Sun, 5 Jul 1998 15:27:53 -0500
On Sun, 5 Jul 1998, Stan Ryckman wrote:

> With both pine and elm, the "real" trick is to use an editor, not the
> built-in composers.  Using "vi" with line numbering enabled, you just
> can't be fooled by line wrapping.  I think that elm does it from the
> EDITOR environment variable; whereas, in pine you configure an
> "alternate editor" and tell it to use that.

The Pico editor works differently when invoked stand alone as opposed
to Pico as the Pine mail editor.  I find it handier for these things
to use Pico in Pine, I can get it to do just about whatever I want
without too much trouble.  I use vi sometimes, for really serious
things, but I use it so infrequently these days I have to look up
any but the most basic commands. For most things it is quicker and
easier for me to "trick" Pico in Pine than to shift editors or mail
systems.

Douglas