Nathan Brindle <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 6 Feb 1996 08:59:55 EST
FYI.  This is excerpted from a document regarding our trademarks.

5.      ALWAYS USE OUR MARKS IN PROPER CONTEXT AND FORM

Trademarks  identify a  company's products  or services.  Grammatically, they
are  proper adjectives ,  used to qualify a generic name  such as  software ,
 product   or  mail  transfer agent .  Our Marks  should never  be used  as a
noun, or in plural form.  Here are a few examples:

RIGHT:  A LISTSERV mailing list
                A LISTSERV server
                We have several LISTSERV servers in our department

WRONG:  A LISTSERV
                A LISTSERVer
                We have several LISTSERVs in our department

In headlines,  the use  of unqualified  product Marks  is tolerated,  to save
space, provided that  the implied meaning is  product , and  that there is no
possible  doubt about  this.  For instance,  you may  print   XYZ Assist  for
LISTSERV , meaning   XYZ Assist for use  with the LISTSERV product .  You may
not print   Manage your  LISTSERVs with XYZ! ,  however, because  the implied
meaning is either  server  or  list .

Our Marks  should not be abbreviated  or extended. You must  always state our
Marks exactly as  they are written on your trademark  license certificate. In
practice, this  is only a problem  with LISTSERV. Always write  it exactly as
LISTSERV - not LSV or LISTSERVE or LISTSERVER.

Our Marks  may never be  incorporated in  company names, whether  a corporate
name, partnership  or d/b/a. Thus,  you may  not call your  company  LISTSERV
Consulting .