Gerald England <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 14 Feb 1999 09:54:27 -0000
----------
> From: rex <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Re: Irrational ratios
> Date: 13 February 1999 09:49
>
> Joe Clark <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> rex wrote:
> >> A quote/message ratio filter would also be useful. a simple ratio
> >
> >Except in cases like this one, where the question is brief and the
> >answer just as brief.
>
> It would still work. I have people who write a one line reply and
> quote a hundred lines. I'd settle for bouncing anything over a
> 10/1 quote/message ratio. The ratio should, of course, be settable
> by the list-owner.

Yet one more thing for the list-owner to set.
The problem with this seems to me that new list-owners
wouldn't know how to set it and until their list had been running some time
wouldn't have an idea of what was needed.

I don't like the idea of setting a ratio as needs of different lists vary.

I'm looking after a writers list where someone might want a short story
or novel chapter critiquing.
In such cases it is essential probably to quote a whole paragraph in order
to make a one or two sentence comment.
So the ratio of quoted/unquoted would be over 50%
but appropriate.

> My other wish, a filter to bounce messages that contain the
> bottom banner, would catch most of these types, because they
> don't trim *anything*.

Now this would be much easier to implement
(Some majordomo lists already have this facility!)
because as rex says it is the people who don't cut anything
who quote excessively out of laziness
rather than those who quote out of necessity.

Gerald, Christine and Craig England,
NHI Review, Aabye's Baby, Haiku Talk,
Zimmerzine, Netmiser, Cyberscribers.
http://www.nhi.clara.net/index.htm