Paul Russell <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 11 Jan 2007 11:27:32 -0500
Appended below is a question from one of my list owners. I have changed
the list names in her message, because both are private, internal-use-only
lists.

If I understand correctly, the list owner intends to enable the topics
feature on a superlist and its sublist, and believes she can prevent some
superlist messages from being distributed to sublist subscribers by using
a topic which is not defined on the sublist.

I suspect that she is mistaken, but I do not recall ever attempting to use
the Sub-Lists= and Topics= keywords in this manner. I doubt that topics
option settings on the sublist will have any effect on messages posted to
the superlist. I suspect that all messages posted to the superlist will be
distributed to all subscribers on the sublist, with the exception of those
who are subscribed to both lists and have superlist topics option settings
that exclude certain topics.

Will this work the way the list owner believes it will work? If not, is
there a way to configure a superlist/sublist pair so that only certain
messages posted to the superlist are distributed to the sublist subscribers?

--
Paul Russell, Senior Systems Administrator
OIT Messaging Services Team