Mario Rups <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 7 Jun 1995 12:40:00 -0400
>        On a VAX/VMS system, interactive commands use SEND rather than
>TELL.  I gather that interactive commands are possible only if there's a
>Bitnet connection, however.  If you have only an Internet connection, you
>        Joan Korenman        Internet: [log in to unmask]

Right you are, my mistake.  Principle seems to be the same, though: SEND or
TELL from the system prompt, right?  My point was that SEND didn't work for
me even while we were a BITNET only site, either, however.  I didn't at the
time know the systems manager well enough to ask him why; and, now, it's a
moot point.

What's important, however, is that listserv CAN be handled via e-mail,
including changing the headers, I gather, although I've never dared do
that.  Otherwise, you'd be severely limiting your listowner pool.

You can also send multiple commands in one message, one command per line.
Without, as it happens, the // job pw= business, which makes it all easy as
pie.  Have to make sure your mailer doesn't automagically insert lines of
its own at the beginning, however, or listserv will read those first and
get very snarky about it and refuse to look at the legitimate commands that
come after.

Mario Rups