Dan Lester <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 13 Apr 1997 13:27:50 -0600
At 01:12 PM 4/9/97 -0400, you wrote:
>Finally, the lecture from Dan about "Listserv is a SYSTEM..." etc.
>is out of date and represents a limited view.  Just last week I was

Well, it may be out of date and limited, but it is an inherent part of the
design as far as I can tell from years of using it in both Bitnet and
Internet environments.  I'm personally thankful for the "system" that helps
keep out spam and other problems.  I don't believe I ever suggested what
Eric would or wouldn't allow as far as how LISTSERV(R) is setup at any
given site.

>talking about the possibility of licensing a second machine for very
>sensitive material for committees, and in the business world this isn't
>unheard of.  I would like to think that on this list and on the

Of course it isn't.  We do that on our campus and there are adequate
protections in the existing system for that type of security.  In fact, the
campus's Computer Governance and Planning Committee, which deals with high
level and controversial planning (including personnel, money, etc) uses
listserv for just this purpose.  However, and no knock on listserv, I'm
betting that most do this in the future on web servers with appropriate
security in place.  Regardless, none of this contradicts listserv being a
system.  In fact, I believe that over half the lists in the world running
on listserv are not public lists.

>the lstsrv-l list that listserv maintainers and list owners using
>listserv in such a way would NOT be subject to a lecture on someone's
>"vision of the listserv world" but receive as much assistance as
>someone running and operating lists on a backbone server.

Again, I don't believe I said that they couldn't or shouldn't do certain
things.  I certainly have no control over that.  I was, however, describing
what is NOT my vision, but the way it works.  It must be Eric's, as it is
the way it is as of now.  I'm just describing the reality, not any dream or
anything.  If you felt lectured, well.....so it goes.....but I was just
laying out the facts for someone with questions, which is what this list
seems to be for, I believe.

cheers

cyclops

Dan Lester
In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.  Erasmus, 1534