Perrine Crampton <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 5 Feb 1996 18:02:59 EST
I'd like your input on the following document. Please make sure there
aren't any glaring errors. I think I caught them all.

I edited/modified this file from Temple University. (I do have the
current Temple Listserv manager's approval to modify and distribute it.)
It's purpose is to help people learn the basics of Listserv without
overloading their brains technically.

I see this file being used in two ways:

1. An owner wants to provide information to a user who's continually
asking questions. Owner uses GIVE LISTSERV BASICS to user@host

2. A novice user discovers the file and learns something about Listserv
or asks for help and is told where to locate the file.

Note that the reason I didn't include the dababase features becase *I*
still haven't figured them out so I do not feel qualified to explain
them to novice Internet users.

Thanks!

Perrine

Introduction to Listserv(tm) mailing lists

Created by Jeff Linder (who is no longer with Temple University)

Modified January 1996 by Perrine Crampton <[log in to unmask]>

1.  What is a Listserv?

Basically, Listserv software acts as distribution center for mail messages and
documents.  Each "distribution center" or Listserv can manage many email lists.
These lists generally focus on a specific topic, often indicated by the name of
a list. Listserv is software that runs on a computer. Not all versions of the
software provide the same features and not all features are available on all
hardware platforms.

2. Who can use a Listserv?

Almost anyone can access a Listserv. Some listservs, due to nature of
the topics they cover, are restricted. As a prospective subscriber you
must apply to the owner of the list for access.

In the majority of cases, most lists are 'Open' and anyone can join. Lately,
many managers of these lists have been forced to protect their subscribers by
requiring new people to go through a confirmation process before being
admitted to the list. This also sorts out any discrepancy between the outgoing
Internet address and the return Internet address before the person joins the
list. [Why 'forced?' Well, some "Junk Mail" and marketing people have decided to
join lists and copy all the email addresses of the subscribers on each list. If
the subscription process requires another step, they don't always follow
through.]

3. How can I find a Listserv(tm) mailing list that interests me?

You can search for a list on a specific topic (a MUCH easier and faster way than
getting the entire list of all Listserv lists!), by sending

    LIST GLOBAL DOG

The result will be a file that contains all Listserv mailing lists that Listserv
is aware of that relate to dogs. Keep in mind that there is other mailing list
software (Majordomo, ListProc, etc.) and the specific list you want might be
using different mailing list management software and [log in to unmask] will
not be aware of it's existence.

4. Now that I know what lists interest me, how I do join a mailing list?

To join a list, send

    SUB Listname First Last

Or, at the address where the list is based.  Replace "Listname" with the name of
the list that you are interested in joining. Replace "First" with your first
name and "Last" with your last name.

Do not send subscription commands (nor any other commands) to the "Listname"
itself.  All commands sent to the "Listname" address are distributed to the list
members or rejected. As a result, you are not subscribed, and the list members
get annoyed.

An acknowledgement will arrive, usually within 24 hours.

Sometimes, subscribing to a list is a two step process. The second step being a
confirmation of your email address. This was described above in section 2.

5. Wait a second! If I only give the Listserv my first and last name, how
   does the Listserv know where to find me to deliver my mail?!

Good question! Since the subscribe (or SUB) command is handled by a computer,
the computer reads your Internet email return address directly from your
message telling it that you want to join the mailing list! Pretty clever, right?

6. Ok, I'm subscribed.  Now what?

That depends on what you wish to do.  To send a message to all of the
members of the list, send a mail message to the address specified in the Welcome
message. It's usually the name of the list plus the site address.

For example;    [log in to unmask]

7. Well, what else can I do?

Another good question.  Here are some other Listserv commands.  Remember, all
commands must be sent to the LISTSERV(tm) address and you should replace the
word "Listname" with the name of the list you want information about.

Listserv refcard    - provides a 'quick reference' of general user commands

Review Listname     - A list of all users and some information about the List.

Version             - Indicates which version of Listserv is running on that
                        computer.

Help                - provides a help file.

8. Ok. I'm on the list, but I can't tell who wrote the individual messages
   unless people sign them. Can anything be done to help??

SURE! Send the following to the Listserv address (i.e.; [log in to unmask]):

       Set Listname DUALhdr

This will cause the Listserv computer to add additional lines to each
message from the list that you receive. These extra lines will reveal who the
author of each message really is; even if they forget to sign their messages.

9. What about reading older messages?

Many, not all, Listserv(tm) lists maintain logs of old messages.  To determine
if your list provides logs, send

    Index Listname

to the Listserv address for your list.

The command to access these files is

      GET Listname LOGYYMMa

You will get the log file for Listname where YY= Year (96) and MM= Month (01)
Some lists are able to keep weekly log files. A= the FIRST WEEK of that month
and so on.

See the file commands for more information. Send INFO FILES to your Listserv
address.

10. Okay, what about files, how do they work on a Listserv(tm)?

Many Listserv(tm) computers maintain a file database along with them.  These are
often referred to as FileServs. Some commands for fileservs are:

Index Listname   - sends a listing of all files available for that list, on that
                  Listserv(tm).  Sending INDEX without listname will return a
                   list of the availlable files on that Listserv machine.

Get Filename filetype   - Sends that file to you.  Some have limits on
                          how many files you can request in a given time period.

Almost all Listservs(tm) contain logs for their discussion lists.  See above.

11. Okay, there's too much mail. Or, I'm not interested in the list after all.

The command to remove yourself from a list is

    SIGNOFF Listname

Too much mail but you're still interested in the discussion? Send the following
to the Listserv address for your list:

      Set Listname digest

Digests can be set up in a variety of ways, each list is different - once per
day, week, month, year or many digests per day with a specific number of
lines per digest. Since each list is different, it is best to ask the owner of
the list for assistance ([log in to unmask]) or send REVIEW Listname to the
Listserv(tm) address. REVIEW should show you the 'header' of the list. The line
* Digest= will tell you what the setting is for your list.

Remember, all commands must be sent to the LISTSERV address.

Distribution of this document is freely encouraged provided the following
statement is left intact:

Modified and updated in January 1996,
            by Perrine Crampton <[log in to unmask]>

File Created by Jeff Linder who used to work at Temple University.