LISTSERV Administrator <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 18 Jun 1996 10:44:04 EST
This is a topic near and dear to my heart (and probably ought to be
discussed in LSTSRV-L as well because, as the LISTSERV Admin, it affects
me *far* more in that capacity than as an owner).

Much to my dismay, the Powers That Be have been pushing our "virtual
post office" addressing heavily the last 8 months or so and even insisting
that those of us within the department use generic @iupui.edu when we
give our email address out.  List owners have willy-nilly been changing
subscriber addresses to @iupui.edu without any regard for their Send=
settings, and nobody has bothered to ask about how to educate the users
on problems this can cause and how to set up mailers (some of them can be)
to reflect a return address of @iupui.edu.  The other problem I have as
LISTSERV Admin is list owners trying to use the virtual post office address
as their list owner address.  I can catch these on new list requests, but
I've had who-knows-how-many owners change their header and PUT it back
*without* keeping a working address as an owner (in spite of having this
on our local LISTSERV web FAQ pages).

BUT... I agree with Eric... at least here, there was very little foresight
into the code system (which has created a nightmare for us) and as a
result [log in to unmask] may not be the same as [log in to unmask]
who may not be the same as [log in to unmask] who may not be the same
as jdoe@iupui.edu... they're working on getting this resolved (and it
has gotten better), but it's not resolved yet.

Personally, though it would make my life *incredibly* easier to have
fuzzy domain matching, quite frankly I think educating people in
how their mail works, setting up proper return headers, etc. is a *much*
better way in the long run.

But, allowing jdoe@*iupui.edu to post to a list where Send=Private is
a pretty good compromise, and one that would be helpful.... but I'd like
to throw in another idea that might actually be easier to enable in the
code... still not the perfect solution, but it might be a good compromise
as well.

What if there was a Send=Private,Review type of setting that says:
Anyone subbed to the list directly can post to the list directly.
All other postings to the list go to the Moderator/Editor/Owner for
review.   This takes care of people actually subbed to the list from
a different address being able to get postings through (the long way),
and makes sure spam gets intercepted.  Yes, it's more work for the owner,
but then the address can be corrected to reflect the real header.

Comments?

-Holly