"Eckstine, Nate" <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 29 Jun 2016 15:31:19 +0000
Is adding the Editor function to the list the best solution here?  I never even think about email client anymore unless it’s a gmail problem with no return email or an AOL spam problem.

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Wednesday, June 29, 2016 8:24 AM

To: [log in to unmask]

Subject: Re: Force "Reply-to= Sender,Ignore"??

There is a lot of "content" in an email message that is generally not displayed to the user by their email client software. This is the "headers" and includes information various servers (and clients) need while handling the message. Most of the time it is of little or no interest to a human.

But when something happens that a human did not expect, such as a message arriving at an unintended destination, then the header information becomes interesting.

The header lines are what I call "the gory details" of an email message.

I use this phrase because it amuses me, but for those who are not well-versed in the technical details of email server operations and protocols, looking at headers can be almost as unsettling as the sight of blood - if you're the type who is bothered by that.

How to view message headers varies according to which email client software you're using. You'll have to explore the various options in your software to find out how - it's outside the scope of this particular discussion list.

On 6/28/2016 11:39 AM, Reid Harvey wrote:

> Gory details??  This sounds serious and I need to know more.  Please

> note that it's been well over a month since I submitted anything to a

> listserv, and at the time there was certainly nothing gory, or untoward.

> *Please explain!*

> On Tue, Jun 28, 2016 at 11:17 AM, k p <[log in to unmask]

> <mailto:[log in to unmask]>> wrote:

>     The only way to solve your puzzle is to examine the gory details of

>     the specific message in question.

>     The documentation for the Reply-to list header keyword explains

>     clearly that it will not work every time because some software

>     products do not respect it. In most cases the List Owner does not

>     have the power to force all list subscribers to use only the better

>     software products.

>     If you get hold of all the header lines and can figure out which

>     software was used to send the message, then you'll be closer to a

>     solution - and you can take up the matter with the email client

>     software developers.

>     It's also possible that the subscriber changed the TO: address by

>     hand when composing the message.

>     On 6/28/2016 10:27 AM, F J Kelley wrote:

>         Hi,

>         I have just had a list owner ask how a mailing got distributed

>         to her list when she has made an effort to prevent that.  The

>         "Reply-To= " setting I used as a Subject is in force for this

>         list, however, any of the subscribers may post to the list

>         ("Send= Private").

>         I realize this may really come down to mail client software; my

>         first assumption is that will be Outlook or OWA, though it might

>         be something else.  And it is also possible this came from a

>         mobile device, in which case, I cannot say what would have been

>         used.

>         Thanks for any help,

>         --Joe

write to: mailto:[log in to unmask]