Murph Sewall <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 13 Apr 1994 16:20:06 -0500
I've seen that legal services pitch inappropriately posted on three lists,
and I don't read nearly as many lists as I used to (presumably information
about the Green Card Lottery is appearing in other places where it's not
wanted).  The following post from the list owner of SOS-DATA pretty much
covers it.  A large flood of U.S. mail to the Arizona Bar Association might
be interesting--as would thousands of "don't do that" messages to the
Canter & Siegel <[log in to unmask]> (feel free to send them copies of my
part of this message)

/s Murphy A. Sewall <[log in to unmask]>
   co-owner MAC-L, APPLE2-L

----------------------------Forwarded message from SOS-DATA----------------

Date: Tue, 12 Apr 1994 10:28:08 -0400 (EDT)
From: James Cassell <[log in to unmask]>
[Jim is owner of the Social Science Data list]
Subject: Re: Green Card Lottery- Final One?

Welcome, once again, the the Information SuperHYPEway!

Since NSF dropped it's restriction on commercial activities on the
Internet a couple of years ago, we will probably see more of this junk
mail.  There is at least one book on advertising on the net--fortunately,
it's author tells people not to do it in this fashion!

I have already sent a note the the malafactor and the postmaster at their
site.  My objection is having materials posted to this group which have
nothing to do with its focus--social science data.  If you share
this objection, you might also send a note to the author and the
postmaster at that site.

I'll be faxing a copy of this note to the firm listed--it's possible that
this is a prank or some attempt at fraud.  I also plan to send a note to
the Arizona State Bar Association regarding the matter.  Should you be
inclined to chime in, their address is:

  Carolyn D. Nyhus, Director
  Arizona State Bar Association
  363 North First Avenue