Mon, 1 Dec 1997 12:32:52 -0500
At 12/1/97 05:41 AM , Amy Stinson wrote:
>I received this in my email today.  I thought a few of you might be
>interested:
>
>>My server Austasia, decided to filter out all LISTSERV messages, too
>>much advertising taking up too much space, sounds like a form of
>>censorhip to me.  At least they suggested I go through hotmail to
>>receive Machknit mail, and I am now receiving mail.
>
>I am as anti-spam as they come, but it sounds like some ISP's have
>people manning the helm that are idiots.  I have never received a UCE
>that was generated from someone using LISTSERV or any other list
>management software, so why would ANYONE filter mail to their users
>based upon list management software?
>
>Maybe I'm wrong.  Please, someone enlighten me.

The only reason I can think of to blanket filter listserv messages is if I
had a business server and didn't want hundreds of employees signing up for
dozens of lists, most of which they'd never read (of course, I'd grant
exceptions upon review).

Having said that, for a commercial ISP to do so, while not censorship, is
pretty stupid.

Philo

Finger for public key                   [log in to unmask]
Take my anonymity questionnaire:
http://www.radix.net/~philo/Anonymity/qform.html
Face to face; no telling lies
The masks they slide