Clark Pickett <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 31 May 2001 06:27:16 -0700
> On Wed, 30 May 2001, Liz Marr wrote:
>
> Wait until you get posts from MSN Express.  There is absolutely NO
> way to make those plain text. Sigh.

I assume Liz means MSN Explorer version 6, the latest version of their
interface.  She is correct in that there is no way to configure it to send
plain text messages.  I even wrote to MSN's tech support staff about this.  All
they offered was a suggestion I had already figured out for myself--don't use
that interface if you want plain text messages.  Instead, use the current (old)
Hotmail interface.  This applies to messages sent from both MSN and Hotmail
accounts, since you can use both the Explorer v6 and the Hotmail interfaces for
both domains.

I am including below the instructions we send to subscribers who have submitted
formatted messages from either domain.  Please note that the box labelled "Rich
Text Format" must remain UNCHECKED in order for the message to be formatted as
plain text.  Feel free to borrow from these instructions for your own
subscribers, if you like.

Best wishes,

Clark Pickett <[log in to unmask]>
Co-Administrator, EEAC Web Site and mailing lists
http://www.eeadopt.org

The e-mail interface of MSN Explorer v6 automatically formats all messages with
HTML-formatting.  There is no option to turn this off.  Thus, you cannot use
this interface to prepare messages for posting to our lists.

You can use the Hotmail web interface to prepare messages for posting from both
the HOTMAIL.COM and MSN.COM domains.

1.  Use your web browser to access the Hotmail web interface,
    http://www.hotmail.com
2.  Enter your sign-in name in the "Sign-In Name" box.
3.  If you have an MSN.COM address, click the arrow at the end of the
    box displaying "hotmail.com" and select "msn.com".
4.  Enter your password in the "Password" box, and click on the
    "Sign-in" button.
5.  Click on the "Compose" tab.
6.  Make sure that the box next to "Rich Text Format" is NOT checked.
7.  Prepare and send your message.