Jared Weinberger <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 25 Jun 1997 09:25:08 -0400
At 03:02 PM 6/25/97 CED, you wrote:
>On Wed, 25 Jun 1997 08:24:21 -0400 Jared Weinberger said:
>>In the prepared GETPOST that came back:
>>(1)  the last is an invalid range and therefore cannot be ordered;
>It's more or less guesswork ...
>This last special item where end=start-1 is for an electronic monkey
>to indicate that
>   a) there are more matches
>   b) the next match is the item # start
>Therefore it would send the command
>   search speed and best in hp3000-l.21682-
>
>Christian

Christian, I can't follow your logic here:

(1) Listers (read "humans") are told "send the following comand" but it is
not a valid one;
(2) We have already been told there are more matches (121 in fact);
(3) I haven't seen a similar "end prompt" before; if there were one, it
should be on a *separate* line starting "to continue the search, send the
following command..." and not be encrypted in a ready-to-go GETPOST! In any
case such a prompt shouldn't mimic a range of posts.

This looks like an electronic monkey wrench to me.

Jared Weinberger
Search Tutorial at http://www.mindspring.com/~jaredmarkw/search.htm