"David W. James" <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 22 Apr 1998 18:11:24 -0400
On Apr 22,  1:05am, Winship wrote:
> > 1). Should listowners delete messages from list archives at subscriber
> > requests?

> Absolutely not.  The archives are the archives, edited only to resolve
> technical glitches.

        Oh?  I can think of at least three good reasons to remove a posting
from an archive:

        1. The message is defames someone.
        2. The message includes something illegal (copyright violation or
                kiddy-porn or...)
        3. The message includes a lot of garbage; be it MIME encoded graphics
(or, worse, Microsoft Word...) that slipped in under your line limit (you
*do* limit the length of postings to your list, right?)

Now, you might argue that the last is a 'technical glitch', but it really
isn't, it is just a pain to have in the archive.

It boils down to how customer oriented a list owner you want to be.  And
we all have the right to say "Sorry, I don't have the time."

David