"s.merchant" <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 26 Jan 1995 12:02:00 EST
The first is from Compu$erve (they want $$$$, apparently).  "Postage Due"?!
That's a new one!
================
From: Electronic Postmaster <[log in to unmask]>
Comments: Returned from:  <[log in to unmask]>

Re: ? EMDRPD - Mail Delivery Failure. Refused -- Postage Due. 76102,3333
================

The second is a little more disturbing.  It's a terse and unhelpful reply
to my request to a postmaster to fix their backwards mailers that attempt
to send messages for 31(!) days, and let you know for that it didn't go
through the first time only 8 days later!  So you know you have a backlog
of at least 8 days of bounces even if you delete the person
immediately.  Just FYI.
================
The bounce:
>After 8 days (203 hours) your message for the site groovy.demon.co.uk
>has not been delivered.  This is either because the site, which is
>on a dialup to the Internet, has not been connected to the Demon
>service in that time or because the site's mail system is not working.
>
>Attempts to deliver the message will continue for a further 23 days.
>No further action is required by you.

My request:
> Notification after _eight_ days is much too long and causes big
> headaches for managers of lists!  There could be hundreds of such messages
> that are in the pipeline that I will continue to receive even after
> I delete this user from the list, which I will be doing immediately.
> And who knows how many more "updates" this will be generating during the
> next 23 days for each of the hundreds of messages!
>
> Please modify your configuration to improve the connectivity, or at
> least to reduce the number of days it waits to 1 day or at most 2.

His reply (in its entirety, except for headers and replication of my msg):
>From: [log in to unmask]
>
>Sorry this is not possible.
>
>Neil
>
>--
>Neil J. McRae.                                Demon Internet

That's why they call it "demon," I guess :-(.

---
Shahrukh Merchant